Soil Test Steps
1) Take a soil sample from each distinct area (you may submit up to 6 soil samples per form). See instructions here on how to take a soil sample. Rule of thumb: If the soil looks the same, smells the same, and grows the same, the areas can be combined into one soil sample.
2) Measure the areas you will be amending and record them with each sample ID. Use our garden area calculator to get help.
3) Order your discount Logan Labs soil test here. You will be emailed a form to submit with your samples.
4) For each sample, label a ziplock bag with your email address and the sample ID exactly as entered on the form. Place 2 cups (500 ml) of soil in the ziplock bag and tightly close it.
5) Pack a cardboard box with your samples and the printed Logan Labs submission form. Make sure any extra room in the box is filled with packing material so the samples cannot move. USPS Priority Flat Rate boxes are usually the least expensive to ship, however other carriers such as FedEx or UPS may be used.
6) If sending from outside the continental U.S., be sure you have a new barcode label and soil permit. If you did not receive a barcode label after ordering, email Alice. Place the new barcode on the outside of the box. Place the soil permit inside the box. Note: barcode labels may only be used once.
7) Ship the box to Logan Labs, 620 N Main St, Lakeview, OH 43331. If sending by US mail, you must drop the box off at the post office counter – don’t put it in a mailbox. Alternatively your mail carrier may pick up the box; see here.
8) In less than a week after your soil samples are received at Logan Labs, we will email you your test results.
9) Enter the test results into OrganiCalc, here. Not a subscriber? You can subscribe here. Would you prefer we entered your data and commented on the results? Order analysis here.